Wednesday 21 January 2009

Oh Sir Digby do not touch me!

I have to say I always thought putting the great Lord Jones of Birmingham into Whitehall was like putting Mother Theresa in charge of a brothel - destined to create revelation. It was a brave decision by Gordon Brown but Digby was always likey to fight his corner and apply business thinking; and an outstanding business champion he was as well! But if anyone was destined to see through the smoke and mirrors of the UK Civil Service then Digby was.

Now I have to admit that great Civil Servants are mighty impressive, and I met a few good ones during my time at REC and before, but they are few and far between. And like Digby, I feel passionately that there are too many of them, and too many duffers hiding behind (and definitely creating) piles of paperwork and process. I personally believe we could neutralise many of our economic woes if we slimmed down the public sector (and don't get me going on Local Authorities or I'l tell you the story about the Council that wanted to build a model railway museum, with European funds, because one officer liked toy trains!).

Thank goodness Digby received his honours before he threw his sucker punched against those who have the power to approve or reject them.

Digby Jones 1 : Civil Service 492,000 (full time equivalent posts)

Gareth

No comments: