Thursday 1 May 2008

Leader, thought leader

Too many business leaders, who aspire to be a Managing Director, find themselves with nothing to do and start doing menial tasks and rarely elevate themselves to the strategic. This is true in all sectors but especially true in recruitment.

If you stop and break the words down, then a managing director is someone who manages the process of direction; the Captain of the ship – the one who says ‘hard to port me hearties’ not the one who takes the helm and steers the boat.

I like the phrase ‘thought leader’ when defining the role of an MD and explain it as ‘someone who explores opportunities (or problems) and inspires their team, through the introduction of innovative debate, with the sole aim of making progress in areas that are essential to business success or are losing focus’.

I still believe one of the very best management practices (although now seen by some as outmoded) is that of MBWA (Management By Walking About). I make a point, on every day I am in the office, of walking around and talking to people; hopefully finding out more about their life and what makes them tick but especially exploring their working life and participating in their successes and frustrations. Remembering of course that any intelligence I gather must go straight to their manager so as not to circumvent the chain of command. This also gives me the opportunity to ‘Columbo’ them; ‘One last thing before I go .. how is the Tennison Project progressing? I haven’t heard much lately’. You will be amazed what you find out and how receptive people are to you questions, ideas and solutions.

MBWA has always worked for me; give it a try, it might work for you and turn you from a busy fool into an engaged and essential thought leader in your business.


Gareth

No comments: